Greetings, Mary Baldwin University students!
I am thrilled to introduce you to a fantastic new resource that is bound to elevate your university experience and pave the way for your future success: the Career Design Advisors (CDAs) at the McCree Center of Life Success. We’ve established a team of dedicated Career Design Advisors who are here to guide and support you every step of the way. These advisors are not just your mentors; they are your partners in creating a pathway to success that is uniquely tailored to your aspirations and goals.
What Do Career Design Advisors Do?
Imagine having a personalized guide to help you unlock your full potential beyond the classroom. Our Career Design Advisors are here to do just that. They will work closely with you to understand your interests, strengths, and dreams. Whether you’re passionate about landing that dream internship, building a network of professional contacts, or perfecting your application materials, our advisors are equipped to provide expert guidance.
Here are some of the key areas our advisors will assist you with:
- Co-Curricular Experiences: Your university journey extends beyond textbooks and lectures. Career Design Advisors will help you curate meaningful co-curricular experiences such as internships, mentoring opportunities, and community engagement to enhance your skills and broaden your horizons.
- Future Planning: Success is a journey that requires careful planning. Our advisors will help you set clear goals and develop a roadmap to achieve them, ensuring that you’re prepared for the professional world ahead.
- Application Support: Crafting an impressive resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile can be challenging. Fear not! Our advisors will provide personalized guidance to make sure your application materials stand out from the crowd.
- Mock Interviews: Nervous about job interviews? Our advisors will conduct mock interviews to help you refine your communication skills, build confidence, and tackle those tough questions with finesse.
- Programming: Not sure where to start? Head to one of our specially curated programs by our CDA team! Whether it is connecting you with panels of experts or getting you a headshot, our CDAs plan events to help you be successful.
So Who are they?
As a recent graduate of Mary Baldwin University with a Bachelor’s degree in Health Sciences and a minor in Psychology, She is thrilled to embark on the fulfilling journey as a CDA, and to become a valuable member of the university’s team. In her new role, She is dedicated to guiding and supporting incoming students as they navigate their academic and personal pathways at Mary Baldwin.
Drawing upon her own experiences and the knowledge that she gained during her time as a student, she is committed to easing the transition for new enrollees and assisting them in finding their own sense of direction within the university’s vibrant community. With a deep understanding of the challenges that can arise as one enters higher education, she is excited to provide mentorship, resources, and advice to empower students to make the most of their time here.
Her academic background in Psychology equips her with valuable insights into human behavior and motivation, enabling her to connect with students on a meaningful level. Through open communication, empathy, and a genuine desire to see each student thrive, she is enthusiastic about contributing to the growth and success of Mary Baldwin students.
Fredrick D. Walker, M.A
Fredrick D. Walker, M.A., is a native Virginian with a passion for cultivating welcoming spaces and helping others reach their full potential in career & life!
He comes to MBU with over a decade of higher ed, military, and industry expertise ranging from career services and college admissions to public relations and equal opportunity/DEI. In addition to his work as a Career Design Advisor, he serves as a Public Affairs Officer in the US Marine Corps Reserve.
Fredrick is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in Education & Organizational Leadership from Liberty University. He also holds a master’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Liberty University, a graduate certificate from Southern Seminary, and a bachelor’s degree in English, Rhetoric, and Humanistic Studies from Virginia Military Institute, in addition to other formal military and civilian education.
When he is not meeting with students or walking around campus, you can find him reading a good book or spending time with his wife and two young children.
Embrace this opportunity, and let’s work together to design a future that’s as bright as your dreams!
Christina Harris, Director of the McCree Center of Life Success